FCTRY is a Brooklyn-based product design studio with start-up vibes and a unique company culture. We’re serious, but we don’t take ourselves too seriously. Our motto, Make it Fun, is exactly what we do. We turn ideas into products; weird and wonderful products that people go crazy for. Heard of Unicorn Snot? That’s us. The RBG Action Figure? Also us.
We’re run by a small, talented team of designers, artists and writers who combine top-notch design with innovative marketing strategies to create compelling consumer products then build fun, vibrant cult brands around them. This has led to some pretty impressive results, and as a result we’re growing too fast for our own good.
That’s where you come in. We’re looking for an inspired multidisciplinary designer who can bounce freely between the 2nd and 3rd dimensions, to be our Product & Packaging Designer. Someone who dreams at night about perfect dielines, balanced color wheels, and Illustrator shortcuts – you get the idea. You’re a creative problem solver with a deep-seated love for clean design and a proven track record of conceptualizing and communicating visually awesome ideas – from product concepts to packaging prototypes, and everything in between.
We move quickly at FCTRY. A lot will be thrown your way, and it’s a great opportunity to grow your existing skills and learn some new ones. We also have some pretty awesome benefits like Citi Bike pass, unlimited time off, a casual office environment (complete with a ping-pong table), and more. Interested?
Had you been with us last month, you would have:
- Conceptualized new ways to package glitter gel for use at outdoor festivals
- Mocked up and prototyped packaging for six new retail products
- Sketched concepts for a new line of pint-sized fanny packs
- Visually communicated detail adjustments to an action figure to a factory
- Created a mood board for and generated color palette options for a new home-goods brand we're launching
- Set up an in-house evaluation of a future Unicorn Snot formula, comparing various formulas for optimal sparkliness
- Played cornhole at Pig Beach – in the rain, covered in glitter!
Are you our perfect Product & Packaging Designer? Let’s see. You would (ideally):
- Have a bachelor’s degree and 2+ years of professional design experience
- Have expertise in Illustrator, Photoshop and InDesign. Knowledge of CAD, Maya or ZBrush is a plus
- Have a multidisciplinary skill set and that translates to the physical world, not just the digital one. You'll be cutting, folding, sewing, drawing, painting, sculpting...
- Have a basic knowledge of packaging regulations, or a willingness to learn
- Be a team player – you’ll be working closely with others to execute ideas that maintain the aesthetics of our brands
- Love working independently too. You thrive when given freedom and flexibility, communicate well and don’t need your hand held
- Not take yourself too seriously. You’re going to be designing Unicorn Snot, after all